7 de septiembre de 2007

Cancer aumenta en veteranos de Iraq

Cancer in Iraq Vets Raises Possibility of Toxic Exposure
by Carla McClain
The Arizona Daily Star - August 26, 2007
After serving in Vietnam nearly 40 years ago - and
 receiving the Bronze Star for it - the Tucson soldier
 was called back to active duty in Iraq.
While there, he awoke one morning with a sore throat.
 Eighteen months later, Army Sgt. James Lauderdale was
 dead, of a bizarrely aggressive cancer rarely seen by
 the doctors who tried to treat it.
As a result, his stunned and heartbroken family has
 joined growing ranks of sickened and dying Iraq war
 vets and their families who believe exposures to toxic
 poisons in the war zone are behind their illnesses -
 mostly cancers, striking the young, taking them down
 with alarming speed.
The number of these cancers remains undisclosed, with
 military officials citing patient privacy issues, as
 well as lack of evidence the cases are linked to
 conditions in the war zone. The U.S. Congress has
 ordered a probe of suspect toxins and may soon begin
 widespread testing of our armed forces.
"He got so sick, so fast"
Jim Lauderdale was 58 when his National Guard unit was
 deployed to the Iraq-Kuwait border, where he helped
 transport arriving soldiers and Marines into combat
He was a strong man, say relatives, who can't remember
 him ever missing a day of work for illness. And he
 developed a cancer of the mouth, which overwhelmingly
 strikes smokers, drinkers and tobacco chewers. He was
 none of those.
"Jim's doctors didn't know why he would get this kind
 of cancer - they had no answers for us," said his wife,
"He got so sick, so fast. We really think it had to be
 something he was exposed to over there. So many of the
 soldiers we met with cancer at Walter Reed (Army
 Medical Center) complained about the polluted air they
 lived in, the brown water they had to use, the dust
 they breathed from exploded munitions. It was very
As a mining engineer, Lauderdale knew exactly what it
 meant when he saw the thick black smoke pouring nonstop
 out of the smokestacks that line the Iraq/Kuwait border
 area where he was stationed for three months in 2005.
"He wrote to me that everyone was complaining about
 their stinging eyes and sore throats and headaches,"
 Dixie said. "For Jim to say something like that, to
 complain, was very unusual.
"One of the mothers on the cancer ward had pictures of
 her son bathing in the brown water," she said. "He died
 of kidney cancer."
Stationed in roughly the same area as Lauderdale, yet
 another soldier - now fighting terminal colon cancer -
 described the scene there, of oil refineries, a cement
 factory, a chlorine factory and a sulfuric acid
 factory, all spewing unfiltered and uncontrolled
 substances into the air.
"One day, we were walking toward the port and they had
 sulfuric acid exploding out of the stacks. We were
 covered with it, everything was burning on us, and we
 had to turn around and get to the medics," said Army
 Staff Sgt. Frank Valentin, 35.
Not long after, he developed intense rectal pain, which
 doctors told him for months was hemorrhoids. Finally
 diagnosed with aggressive colorectal cancer - requiring
 extensive surgery, resulting in a colostomy bag - he
 was given fewer than two years to live by his Walter
 Reed physicians.
He is now a couple of months past that death sentence,
 but his chemo drugs are starting to fail, and the
 cancer is eating into his liver and lungs. He spends
 his days with his wife and three children at their
 Florida home.
"I don't know how much time I have," he said.
Suspect: depleted uranium
None of these soldiers know for sure what's killing
 them. But they suspect it's a cascade of multiple toxic
 exposures, coupled with the intense stress of daily
 life in a war zone weakening their immune systems.
"There's so much pollution from so many sources, your
 body can't fight what's coming at it," Valentin said.
 "And you don't eat well or sleep well, ever. That
 weakens you, too. There's no chance to gather your
 strength. These are kids 19, 20 and 21 getting all
 kinds of cancers. The Walter Reed cancer ward is packed
 full with them."
The prime suspect in all this, in the minds of many
 victims - and some scientists - is what's known as
 depleted uranium - the radioactive chemical prized by
 the military for its ability to penetrate armored
 vehicles. When munitions explode, the substance hits
 the air as fine dust, easily inhaled.
Last month, the Iraqi environment minister blamed the
 tons of the chemical dropped during the war's "shock
 and awe" campaign for a surge of cancer cases across
 the country.
However, the Pentagon and U.S. State Department
 strongly deny this, citing four studies, including one
 by the World Health Organization, that found levels in
 war zones not harmful to civilians or soldiers. A U.N.
 Environmental Program study concurs, but only if spent
 munitions are cleared away.
Returning solders have said that isn't happening.
"When tanks exploded, I would handle those tanks, and
 there was DU everywhere," said Valentin. "This is a big
The fierce Iraq winds carry desert sand and dust for
 miles, said Dixie Lauderdale, who suspects her husband
 was exposed to at least some depleted uranium. Many
 vets from the Gulf War blame the chemical used in that
 conflict for their Gulf War syndrome illnesses.
Congress orders study
As the controversy rages, Congress has ordered a
 comprehensive independent study, due in October, of the
 health effects of depleted uranium exposure on U.S.
 soldiers and their children. And a "DU bill" - ordering
 all members of the U.S. military exposed to it be
 identified and tested - is working its way through
"Basically, we want to get ahead of this curve, and not
 go through the years of painful denial we went through
 with Agent Orange that was the legacy of Vietnam," said
 Rep. Raテコl Grijalva, D-Ariz., a co-sponsor of the bill.
"We want an independent agency to do independent
 testing of our soldiers, and find out what's really
 going on. These incidents of cancer and illness that
 all of us are hearing about back in our districts are
 not just anecdotal - there is a pattern here. And yes,
 I do suspect DU may be at the bottom of it."
What's happening today - growing numbers of sickened
 soldiers who say they were exposed to it amid firm
 denials of harm from military brass - almost mirrors
 the early stages of the Agent Orange aftermath. It took
 the U.S. military almost two decades to admit the
 powerful chemical defoliant killed and disabled U.S.
 troops in the jungles of Vietnam, and to begin
 compensating them for it.
Doctors flabbergasted
Whatever it was that struck Jim Lauderdale did a
 terrifying job of it.
Sent to Walter Reed with oral cancer in April 2005, he
 underwent his first extensive and disfiguring surgery,
 removing half his tongue to get to tumors in the mouth
 and throat. A second surgery followed a month later to
 clear out more of those areas.
Five months later, another surgery removed a new neck
 tumor. Then came heavy chemotherapy and radiation.
Shortly after, he had a massive heart attack,
 undergoing another surgery to place stents in his
 arteries. Two weeks later, the cancer was back and
 growing rapidly, forcing a fourth surgery in January
By this time, much of his neck and shoulder tissue was
 gone, and doctors tried to reconstruct a tongue, using
 tissue from his wrist. He couldn't swallow, so was fed
 through a tube into his stomach.
Just weeks later, four external tumors appeared on his
 neck - "literally overnight," his wife said.
Suffering severe complications from the chemo drugs,
 Lauderdale endured 39 radiation treatments, waking up
 one night bleeding profusely through his burned skin.
 The day after his radiation ended, new external tumors
 erupted at the edge of the radiation field,
 flabbergasting his doctors.
"As this aggressive disease grew though chemoradiation,
 it was determined at this point there was no chance for
 cure," his oncologist wrote then.
By then, the cancer had spread to his lungs and spine
 and, most frightening of all, "hundreds and thousands"
 of tumors were erupting all over his upper body, his
 wife said.
"The doctors said they'd never seen anything like it -
 that this happens in only 1 percent of cases," she
Efforts to contact his doctors at Walter Reed were
 unsuccessful, but a leading head-and-neck cancer
 specialist at the Arizona Cancer Center reviewed the
 course of Lauderdale's disease.
"This a a very wrenching case," said Dr. Harinder
 Garewal. "This is unusually aggressive behavior for an
 oral cancer. I would agree it happens in only 1 percent
 of cases."
When oral cancer occurs in nonsmokers and non-drinkers,
 it tends to be more aggressive, he said.
"My feeling is the immune system for some reason can't
 handle the cancer," he said.
Jim Lauderdale died on July 14, 2006, and was buried in
 Arlington National Cemetery.
Dixie and their two grown children still feel the raw
 grief of loss, but not anger, she said.
"But I am convinced something very wrong is happening
 over there. Is anyone paying attention to this? Is the
 cancer ward still full?" she asked. "I would hate to
 see another whole generation affected like this, but
 I'm very afraid it will be."
Find more resources about cancer and other diseases in
 our searchable database at azstarnet.com/health
* Contact reporter Carla McClain at 806-7754 or at
 cmcclain@azstarnet.com .